21/12/2013

Solstice...

So I have to admit I'm a bit of a hippy at heart (quite a hippy at heart!)...
Unfortunately I'm not yet living off grid on my own land in a cosy little house, log burner and no neighbours for miles surrounded my trees and lots and lots of lovely forest walks...

As my youngest small person hates the car with a vengeance (shouty, screamy, pukey hoping you're getting the picture?) so driving to the forest which isn't too far away by car isn't really an option...
I always wanted to include some kind of solstice celebration/tradition with my children, with the busy build up to Christmas, taking some time out to get back to nature and think about the world around us...
Taking long woodland walks and making fires is the ideal (but remember not walking distance to a forest, shouty, pukey toddler in a car... Not fun! Certainly not a tradition I'd like to see year after year!)...

Maybe when they are older and they don't shout, scream, puke at me we can rethink the walks, fires etc?...
But for now to celebrate bringing in the light for the Winter Solstice today we made a jam jar lantern, to hang on our holly tree outside our house... Each year we will make one and hang our little collection up...

It was a bit of a last minute decision to make so materials were a bit low in supply... 

Materials needed:
Empty clean jar...
PVA glue watered down...
Brush...
Tissue Paper (we only had orange and white)...
Small people...

Empty jar...

Paint watered down PVA glue onto jar... Stick Cut... Torn up tissue paper onto jar...


Finished lantern... Several layers of tissue paper... Paint a layer of glue over the top... Leave to dry...

Tie ribbon or wire around the neck, tea light inside... 


Hang up...

Happy Winter Solstice... Xx




No comments:

Post a Comment